Thursday, January 6, 2011

"¡Hogar Infantil!"

5 January 2011, 10:05 PM

I went to my gate, which was boarding everyone, and got on the plane. I got in my seat and still had no idea if Stefanie was going to make it. I had looked for her at the gate and waited for a few minutes. I looked for her on the plane. I hadn’t checked any of the monitors to see if her flight had arrived or not. I just knew boarding and departure time and was worried about if she missed her flight when the next one was, and how I would get from the airport to the hogar without her.

I looked up and THERE SHE WAS! She was coming down the aisle and made it and we hugged and were both glad that we made it. Our flight from Mexico City to Tuxtla Gutierrez was uneventful. We talked about our holidays and what we’d done. We talked about our families and some background stuff. We just talked. She moved to my row since the flight was far from empty. We flew over a cool volcano mountain thing.

When we got to Tuxtla Gutierrez, Stefanie's luggage had not. It’s still not here. We spent some time getting a report filed and trying to find it and find out what would happen. I’m glad Stefanie has Spanish. She says it’s awful, but awful is better than none! She talked to people from AeroMexico and then we went for a cab….wow. That was an adventure, too!

We didn’t really have an address that we could give a cab driver, and our information hadn’t really all compiled very well in our heads. Three or four cab drivers had to confer to figure out where we were going to figure out how much it would cost. We got that taken care of, and then we got in the car and left...and we called the hogar and let the person who answered tell our driver where we were going.

The drive was fun. Last night felt like 21h00 on a summer night in Alabama. It was awesome and not cold or snowy. The cab window was open, so we had a nice breeze. There are a lot of VWs here, especially some Jettas and old-school Beetles. After we’d been driving about the right distance and were in the right town we started looking for the sign. Our cab driver seemed to be nervous for us because he didn’t know where we were going, and we didn’t have good ways of telling him, exactly.

We turned off onto this tiny road (which we were supposed to turn onto) and we looked and looked for where we were going. And then I saw (in blue letters on a white sign) the words “Hogar Infantile!” I shouted it and pointed...and we’d arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment