Monday, August 4, 2008

Quotations from Facebook

In an effort to keep quotations that I like around and still be able to update my favorite quotations on le Facebook, I periodically clean some off of Facebook and put them in my blog. I did it with Xanga and now I'm doing it over here. Here are some:

"I know who I am. No one else knows who I am. If I was a giraffe, and someone said I was a snake, I'd think, no, actually I'ma giraffe." - Richard Gere

"During times of war, hatred becomes quite respectable, even though it has to masquerade often under the guise of patriotism." -Howard Thurman

"God's love if off the chain." - The Rev. Luther Felder

"I've never heard of a school not being on Facebook. Is it an Amish schoolhouse?" - Leland Spencer

"La la la! C'est internationale!" - Cabaret Leader

"You can look in [my purse]. I don't have a knife or gun or samurai sword." - Ellie

And for what it's worth, these are the ones that stayed:

"I will not indulge in futile philippics against enemies I never met in battle." - CS Lewis

"Condemn no man for not thinking as you think: Let every one enjoy the full and free liberty of thinking for himself: Let every man use his own judgment, since every man must give an account of himself to God. Abhor every approach, in any kind or degree, to the spirit of persecution. If you cannot reason or persuade a man into the truth, never attempt to force him into it. If love will not compel him to come in, leave him to God, the Judge of all. " - John Wesley, 1745, "Advice to a People Called Methodist"

"I believe there is no Liturgy in the world, either in ancient or modern language, which breathes more of a solid, scriptural, rational piety than the Common Prayer of the Church of England." - John Wesley


"We pastors are distinguished not only by what we graciously support, but also by what we condemn. Any homiletic that seeks to make peace with hearers cannot be faithful to the gospel." - Bishop Will Willimon

"If liberals would stop helping the poor and hungry, they would have more time and money to secretly manipulate people [like IRD does]." - Rev. Ashley Walker Davis

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn."
- John Wesley

"When you talk about God, you don't really know what you're talking about." - The Very Reverend Alan Jones

"Every good protaganist has to have a gay best friend I think. Kirk and Spock, Froddo and Samwise - all the greats." - Mark Alexander

"Let's make it a game, and turn more literary works into scientific documents." - Elizabeth A. Eiland

"A church that doesn't provoke any crises, a gospel that doesn't unsettle, a word of God that doesn't get under anyone's skin, a word of God that doesn't touch the real sin of the society in which it is being proclaimed -- what gospel is that?" - Oscar Romero

"You can't speak in episcode and expect me to know what you're saying!" - Erin Warde

"Your status states absolutely no opposition to the war. Your status states opposition to the apathy of the [A]merican public in the face of our dead." - Mark Alexander

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust." - St. Thomas Aquinas

And the new one:

"The point being that the liturgy should help us to engage the life of God in the world, and not serve to confine god to an attic full of antiques. That indeed is to surrender the world to godlessness." - The Rev. Sarah Flynn

No comments:

Post a Comment