Friday, June 25, 2010

Is the Southern Baptist Convention Moderating?

From Ethics Daily:
I said the SBC wasn't going to change its anti-public school agenda, hostility to women as ministers and hardwiring to the right wing of the Republican Party.



Four years later, I still think I was right then. But I'm wondering how to read events from last week.



Has the SBC pivoted away from its position over the past 20 years of fidelity to angry fundamentalist leaders and faithfulness to the political right? Are the results of last week's meeting an aberration or a new positive trend?


Read it all...

This is good news. On the one hand it's nice to see that there isn't so much focus on (fringe) social issues (ie silence about Disney). But on the other, this is good for me to see personally. Through college I built up a lot of anger, frustration, and bitterness toward many Southern Baptists because of relations on campus and things they said both about the Wesley Foundation and St. Mark's Episcopal Church.

Additionally, I was having a paradigm shift and frustrated that I felt like I hadn't been exposed to some ideas (social justice as a Christian mandate -- not just giving money to the poor but working to systemically eradicate poverty). Reading Pastor Wade's blog (and the links he often gives) is helping me do some reconciliation...even if it's not calling me back to the tradition of my roots! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment