Monday, November 3, 2008

The Dismissal and Derek Webb

Those of you who know me might be aware of the fact that I love Derek Webb. As I was listening to The House Show on my drive home the other day I decided that he's nothing less than a modern day prophet, particularly in some of the things he says before he actual sings. There are times that some of the stuff focuses too much on our depravity (rather than our redemption in Christ), but there's a whole lot of stuff that is absolutely amazing. I think a lot of his lyrics are great stuff for sermons, and I will probably incorporate them into sermons...or notes to ordinands.
As I was driving home, I thought about something that someone said at Cursillo. The Lay Rector didn't like that the last part of services in the Book of Common Prayer is called the dismissal. He said he'd rather have it called a charge or some such. My immediate thought was that there is a charge in the post-communion prayer. Anywho, I heard the following song and thought it was quite appropriate.
Go in peace to love and to serve
Let your ears ring long with what you’ve heard
And may the bread on your tongue
Leave a trail of crumbs
To lead the hungry back to the place that you are from


And take to the world this love, hope and faith
Take to the world this rare, relentless grace
And like the three in one
Know you must become what you want to save
‘cause that’s still the way
He takes to the world

Go, and go far
Take light deep in the dark
Believe what’s true
He uses all, even you

No comments:

Post a Comment